Sunday, September 14, 2008

Repeat. Then repeat again.

I have gotten a few questions about my "Wash, Rinse & Repeat" philosophy. As an actor, I have a lot of friends in the arts who have said (I think in a smart ass way), "If it's so easy, then why am I not a star?" Or some variation on that theme. For that matter, pointed out one reader, "why are YOU not a star?"  Touche. The answer -- like everything else in life -- is simple. Those readers are focusing on the "wash, rinse" part and completely overlooking the "repeat." My philosophy boils down to this: nothing is complicated. But, if I had to add a sentence, I'd also say: "Nothing worth doing is easy." It's that damned "repeat" part. I mean, c'mon. Here's a little parable from the world of theater — which I happen to know something about. Meet Paul (not a real person). He moved to New York, determined to make it as an actor. He was to be a force on the Broadway stage before crossing over into starring roles on the silver screen. His plan was mapped. Now, if I was to offer a Wash, Rinse & Repeat for theater, it would be:  1. Show up. 2. Be great. Paul is a smart guy, so he reads this blog and, armed with that knowledge, goes to an audition. Let's say it's an open call for a new Broadway musical of the movie Forrest Gump. (As far as I know, no such musical is in development, but if it is, I'd like to be seen for Forrest.)
Paul does what I've instructed. He gets up early, gets to the audition, and he sings his face off. He is brilliant. 
But, of course, so is everyone else. So are people who have numerous Broadway credits and established relationships with the decision makers. Not only doesn't Paul book the role, he never hears from the casting director again. 
Furious and heartbroken, he e-mails me (I'm his mentor, after all) and accuses of me of over-simplifying. Of saying it was as easy as showing up and being great.
Okay, class, what did Paul forget? Which part of the process? He washed. He rinsed. He did not repeat.
Sometimes it will take months -- even years -- of repeating. The same goes for whatever you're struggling with. You read my chapter on getting a raise, and you didn't get it on the "wash-and-rinse." So you throw in the towel.
Don't. You can't. I have no intention of being inspirational or touchy-feely. I'm not your cheerleader. You have to be that. I'm just stating the simplest truth I know: figure out what works and do it. Then do it again. Then do it again.
You'll be a star.
(And so will I.)

1 comment:

Ivy Koehler said...

My second favorite post.